Commission on Aging and BATA Announce COAST Service Changes Starting Oct. 1
Commission on Aging Senior Transit (COAST) service transitions to BATA’s Link On-Demand and Village Link services
On October 1, 2021, the Bay Area Transportation Authority (BATA) and the Grand Traverse County Commission on Aging (COA) are transitioning the COAST bus service to BATA’s Link On-Demand and Village Link services. The COA’s contracted services agreement with BATA to provide the dedicated COAST bus expires on Sept. 30, 2021. The decision was made to transition COAST riders over to BATA’s Link On-Demand and Village Link services to provide more rides, increase availability, increase efficiency, and offer more scheduling options.
- Expanded Service: Ride requests will now be handled by BATA’s Link On-Demand (Traverse City) and Village Link (greater Grand Traverse County) services providing more ride availability.
- Extended Hours: Service hours are expanded beyond COAST’s hours of operation with Link On-Demand rides available from 6 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. Monday – Friday and until 11:30 p.m. on the weekend. Village Link service is available Monday – Friday (call BATA Customer Service for availability at [PHONE] ).
- More Scheduling Options: Link On-Demand rides can be requested via a mobile app, online portal or over the phone by calling BATA Customer Service at [PHONE]. Smart phone functionality provides bus location and real-time bus arrivals estimates. Link On-Demand rides can be requested in real-time or up to a day in advance, so passengers no longer need to call in early in the morning or weeks in advance to request a ride.
- Greater Availability: Rides requested on the Link On-Demand service will all be accepted with no denials and average wait times are 30-minutes or less. Village Link service is based on availability.
- Fare Collected / Free Rides: Fare will now be required to ride and free fare passes will be available through the COA for those who need it.
- Link On-Demand: $3 one-way for seniors
- Village Link: $1.50 one-way for seniors
- Health and Safety: BATA continues to follow COVID-19 protocols with daily disinfecting and sanitization efforts, and masks are still required to use public transit according to federal mandates
[Changes are coming to COAST on October 1st. More Rides! More Availability! Better Efficiency! Coast is transitioning to BATA's Link On-Demand and Village Link services on Oct. 1st. Link On-Demand ride requests will be accepted with no denials with average wait times of 30 minutes or less. Village Link service is still based on availability. Fare will now be required to ride and free fare passes are available through the COA for those who need it. $3 one-way for Link On-Demand; $1.50 one-way for Village Link. Schedule rides with an app, online, or on the phone through BATA Customer Service (Link On-Demand.) Link In-Demand: 6am-10:30pm (Mon-Fri) 6am-11:30(Sat/Sun); Village Link: Monday -Friday, call BATA Customer Service for hours of operation. 231.941.2324]
Join Team BATA
Get on the road to success & join Team BATA today!Learn More
Plan your day with an easy to read timetable of stop locations for your route.